You are currently viewing The Different Classes of Truck Driver’s Licenses in Ontario

The Different Classes of Truck Driver’s Licenses in Ontario

If you’ve recently switched from a regular-sized vehicle to a truck, you’d agree that not all vehicles are equal. To this effect, you will be required to take a new Ontario driving license test for your big guy.

Ontario has not one but six different types of driving licenses. The model of your vehicle decides which of these classes you’re eligible for. However, regardless of which license you’re preparing for, you can improve your chances of success with knowledge test practice. You can find more info here.

In this article, we’re giving you a detailed rundown of the different classes of truck driver’s licenses in Ontario. Read on to learn which of them you’re qualified for.

Class A

The class A license is for those who own tractor-trailer vehicles or any other trucks greater than 4600 kg. With this license, you’ll also be allowed to handle class G and class D vehicles.

You must have had your class G license for one year to apply for this license. You will also need to pass a knowledge test, a road test, and a medical exam.

Class B

A class B license is what every school bus driver is supposed to have. A class B license makes you eligible to handle all vehicles between classes C and F. School bus drivers are expected to be knowledgeable about control and passenger safety.

If they have had their license suspended for any reason in the last 12 months, they would not be allowed to apply for this license.

Class C

This is the fancy license that every coach bus or city bus driver needs to get in order to cruise through the city without any legal hassles. With this license, you can handle class D and F vehicles. However, class B vehicles are off-limits for these drivers.

Class D

This is the most common type of license. Almost every truck driver on the road owns one. As a holder of this license, you’re eligible to drive towing vehicles and trailers. Passenger cars are not off-limits for you. Neither is any vehicle that weighs more than 11,000 pounds.

You’re allowed to get behind the wheels of class G vehicles as well. However, before you get this license, you need to demonstrate your expertise in driving the big guys.

Class E

If you’re only interested in driving smaller school buses, then a class E license is the ideal one for you. The best part is that you also get to drive F and G-class vehicles, so even if your preferences change eventually, you would not need to take a new driver’s license Ontario test.

Also, if there’s ever an emergency, you would be eligible to take charge of ambulances as well.

Commercial drivers who own or drive taxis or any other vehicles that can transport less than 24 passengers are required to have a class E vehicle.

Class F

Medical drivers–this is the license for you. Drivers with this license are also allowed to drive lightweight 15-passenger vehicles. However, school buses are out of the question. Getting this license will cost you about $100 and up to 2 hours of your time.

To pass this test, you’ll need to show your assessment officer the level of skill you possess in terms of parallel parking and backing up.

Wrapping Up

To take any of the license tests above, you would have to hold a valid G license. You’ll also be mandated to take a test for each of them. The practical aspect of your tests is the most important, so you should focus on preparing your physical skills so you can showcase them to your potential license assessment officer.