You are currently viewing How Do You Know if You’re Due Some Compensation for Asbestos?

How Do You Know if You’re Due Some Compensation for Asbestos?

Over the course of recent decades, people and governments have become increasingly aware of asbestos-related diseases and their impact on individuals nationwide.
To this end, people who now suffer from an asbestos-related illness are able to claim civil compensation though the courts, while the UK government is also increasing payments from £115,000 to £123,000 as part of the benefits package that it offers to those who qualify.
In this post, we’ll explore this further while asking whether or not you qualify for the benefits currently available.

What Benefits are Available to Those with an Asbestos-related Illness

One of the first olive branches available to sufferers is the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB), which is there to help individuals who are ill or disable due to a disease or subsequent disability contracted at work.
The amount on offer depends on your own individual circumstances, which will be assessed by an independent ‘medical advisor’ on a scale of between 1% and 100%.
Normally, you must be assessed as 14% or more to be in receipt of the benefit, although once again the final decision and calculated payments may depend on or be impacted by any existing benefits’ payments.
For older citizens whose employers no longer exist, the Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979 provides additional benefits and financial relief.
This is crucial in instances where employers have folded or their liability insurer cannot be traced, while pay-outs are awarded in the form of a lump sum that’s typically paid promptly by the government.

How do You Qualify for These Benefits and a Viable Payment from the Government?

In general terms, you’ll need to meet certain criteria to qualify for such benefits, with the most important being that your asbestos-related disease was caused as a result of your employment.
Interestingly, the law also prevents you from claiming a benefits package if you’ve already pursued a successful civil case against the employer in question, and received a compensation pay-out in respect of this.
To benefit from the Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979, you’ll also need to have been awarded the IIDB for one of the listed diseases, which include mesothelioma and a number of other conditions such as primary carcinoma of the lungs.
To clarify your asbestos claims and understand your precise circumstances in greater detail, you may want to seek advice from an industry expert such as Boyes Turner. This company has helped to recover over £3.5 million in compensation for clients in the past 12 months, while helping them to pursue their claims and seek justice.
Interestingly, they can also help you to make a claim if you’re the dependent of someone who has suffered from an asbestos-related disease before their death.
This claim must be made within 12 months of the sufferer’s death, so may need help to process the paperwork quickly, efficiently and with the minimum of fuss.

Click for more blogs