In the era of improvement and advancement, the world is witnessing the rightful transformation in women achieving their goals in the dynamic business arena. From grabbing an opportunity, working tirelessly to crafting an upgraded future, women’s success stories are evident in courage and determination.
Bringing change with exceptional skills in terms of pursuing and excelling in careers defines a transformational leader. Paving their paths through challenges and walking through with confidence and commitment to redefining the respective sector.
Hacia Atherton, the CEO and Founding Director of Empowered Women in Trades, stands out as a coherent leader footing in the steps to redefine leadership and influencing careers for women in trading.
Driving Australia’s economic recovery to a higher level, Hacia is enabling growth as the foremost prospect for women by simplifying employment pathways and connecting them with the right opportunities.
Hacia established the foundation of Empowered Women in Trades (EWIT) with the vision to increase women’s representation in trades. Hacia is bridging the trade skills gap by facilitating employment of women in trade-based industries, while providing them with actionable resources to support a thriving career.
Insights Success interviewed Hacia on the processes supporting trade industries and women by simulating change by aligning support and advancement.
Let’s delve into the intercepts of the interview.
Please tell us about yourself and your professional tenure so far in the niche.
As an entrepreneurial trailblazer in courageous leadership, I am dedicated to transforming corporate management to embody vulnerability, compassion and empathy as part of the new archetype for dynamic industry leaders. Passionate about Positive Psychology, I empower leaders to expand their remarkable potential while creating psychologically safe and thriving workplaces for all.
As the CEO & Founding Director of Empowered Women in Trades, I am revolutionizing how trade-based industries in Australia attract, support and retain females within careers in skilled trades.
My transformational ideology was developed after I sustained crushing injuries in a life-threatening equestrian accident. Being told I may never walk again in any meaningful way; I realized that success is a relative concept, which must constantly be redefined, and that advancement in life is primarily based on one’s ability to implement incremental goals, which, when achieved, aggregate into forward-propelling milestones.
Enlighten our readers about your company, highlighting its significance in the dynamic business arena.
Empowered Women in Trades’ (EWIT) purpose is to build an inclusive community, connecting stakeholders to a new world of opportunity and cementing a foundation for rewarding careers whilst boosting diversity in trades-based industries. In Australia, women represent 3% of skilled trades, and through our innovative immersive programs, our ultimate goal is to see this 3% turning into 30% by 2030.
In 2022, which was our inaugural year, we saw over 500 females and non-binary people graduate from our programs, which increased courage and a new appreciation for skilled trades. Last year 71% of graduates from our Experience Trades program were not working in the trades, or trade-based industries and 100% of our program participants would recommend the program to a friend.
What were the initial challenges after venturing into the niche, and what are the challenges now?
Starting up a business is always challenging; you face financial constraints, human capital limitations, and self-doubt starts to creep in. I actively use Positive Psychology interventions such as gratitude practices to support myself and my team to overcome self-doubt and ensure we always embrace a growth mindset. There will also be new challenges around the corner. However, I believe that problems can be opportunities and overcoming obstacles.
What is your current role at your company, and how do you inculcate the crucial fundamentals that help your organization scale its progress?
As CEO, I am responsible for setting the vision of EWIT and working with my team to develop our strategic direction. I set medium- and long-term goals for my team and work with them to develop a plan to achieve our goals. I analyze who our target audience is, what our competitors are doing and what market trends are appearing.
What are the USPs that make your company stand out in the market?
At EWIT, we empower people by increasing their courage and determination to find a career pathway they are passionate about. We always work with integrity and compassion to support our members along the journey to thriving within skilled trades industries. Our programs are innovative and are disrupting how women and non-binary people are seen within trade-based industries. We aim to transform mindsets and the culture of the traded-based industries from one of toxicity to positivity.
Being an experienced leader, share with us your opinion on how technology is transforming the modern business arena, and what advancements we can expect in the future.
Technology is transforming the modern business arena in numerous ways revolutionizing the way companies operate, interact with customers and compete in the marketplace. Here are some ways technology is changing the business landscape:
- Big data analytics: The massive amount of data gathered by businesses can now be analyzed to provide insights into customer behavior, market trends, and operational
- Mobile technology: The rise of mobile technology has made it easier for businesses to reach customers on the go providing a more convenient and accessible experience.
- Social media: social media has become essential for businesses to connect with customers and build brand awareness. Companies can now use social media platforms to advertise, engage with customers, and provide customer support.
Overall, technology is transforming the modern business arena in countless ways enabling companies to operate more effectively, reach new customers and gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
What would be your advice to the aspirants who are willing to venture into the industry?
My advice to others.
- Develop a clear vision before embarking on any business venture. It’s essential to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve. Your vision should be specific, measurable, realistic and it should guide all of your decisions.
- Focus on innovation; this is a competitive advantage. In today’s fast-paced business environment, innovation is essential for a business leader. You should continually look for ways to improve your products, services and processes and be open to new ideas and technologies.
- Prioritize customer satisfaction: You’ll find customers are the life and blood of your business and their satisfaction should be the top priority focus. Ensure you build strong relationships with your customer base and always strive to exceed their expectations.
- Stay informed. As a business leader, you should always stay informed about the latest trends, technologies and best practices in your industry. Continually seek out learning opportunities and be open to feedback and constructive criticism.